Monday, February 16, 2009

Homeschooling ABC's

I know so many families who would love to homeschool, but find the idea overwhelming. Others who have jumped in with both feet and are just trying to stay afloat. If either of those descriptions fit you, OR if you are an experienced homeschooler who would just like some encouragement/support/advice (and lots of free curriculum to try), check out Terri Johnson's Homeschooling ABC's. It's like having a personal homeschool tourguide as you navigate this exciting new world!

Terri Johnson has been homeschooling for 11 years and has written a series of step-by-step weekly emails to help you set up your homeschool and figure it out. This is a subscription service and it is $10 a month for the 6 months, or about $2.50 a week. She includes weekly freebies that would cost over $200 if you bought them from the publishers. She also has a 60 day money back guarentee, so you can give it a try and see if you think it is worth it. I honestly think that after the first 5 or 6 weeks you will have a pretty good idea of the program. There is a 5 lesson mini-course that is free here that you can try first.

This program is geared towards families with elementary age children, especially families with more than one child. But, I enjoyed the articles and freebies even though I've been homeschooling for 4 years. When we decided to homeschool, I read every book I could get at the library, visited over a hundred websites, and spent a good deal of time researching. Terri has done a lot of that for you and broken it into bite-size pieces that aren't overwhelming and can be referred to again later. Each week you are given "homework," an idea to implement into your current homeschool along with resources to do it. I'm a cheapskate, but if this had been around when I started, it would have sure been handy.

And even though I've been doing this for awhile, I collected quite a few ideas and enjoyed the lessons I've received and read. Initially I felt like I would want it all NOW instead of waiting patiently week by week. However, getting the whole kit-and-caboodle dumped at once would be so overwheming I wouldn't get as much out of it. This way you can focus on one area and idea at a time.

I would highly recommend this for anyone just starting to homeschool or struggling with homeschooling (especially families with multiple children)!!!!

No comments: