Sunday, December 28, 2008

Turning Points

I had a chance this week to read a new E-book that is going to be published soon by The Old Schoolhouse called "Turning Points." Over 25 families share what led them to start homeschooling and what keeps them homeschooling. As I read about their "turning points," I was able to reflect on my goals for our homeschool and how God brought us to this point. It was reassuring to feel that I'm not alone with the struggles and frustrations that come with homeschooling and to be reminded and remember all the joys of homeschooling. Any book that lets you reflect on God's hand in your life and present situation is a blessing, having one focused on my role as a homeschool mom was a double blessing.

The only negative I saw in the book was one section where virtual public schools were put down. The first time I read it, I felt pretty frustrated because that option has worked well for us and I felt like she was saying I wasn't really a homeschooler-- a battle/arguement I have seen tear apart homeschool groups-- but I also know the freedom I have in my program isn't found in many states. The second time I read it, I was less defensive, and I could see how she was saying it just didn't work for her family. (And really, with 26 different viewpoints being shared, the fact that there was only 1 that I didn't agree with is pretty amazing.)

Overall, I really enjoyed this e-book and it has motivated me not only to reflect on my family's turning point, but to want to write it down. It has inspired me to evaluate again what is working and what is not and redefine (again) what I want our homeschool to look like/be like.

You may also want to keep an eye out for other e-books that The Old Schoolhouse is putting together that let other "regular" homeschool families share their stories. I always enjoy reading about others who are living a lifestyle similar to mine.

No comments: